Cuckoo Review is the only arts journalism site in the UK to be written by young people aged 15-23, and covers the whole of the North of England. We cover music, theatre, films, art and books (and other things too) and have partnerships with publishers, record companies and arts venues across the country. This is a chance to gain hands-on experience of working within an arts organisation, developing your editing and proof-reading skills and liaising with our partners and young reviewers. Previous interns have gone on to arts journalism roles with organisations such as NARC. magazine, Butcher’s Dog and What’s on NorthEast, and to work for New Writing North.
Cuckoo Review needs an intern!
Cuckoo Young Writers are recruiting an intern to work on our online arts journalism magazine, Cuckoo Review.
We are looking for an intern aged between 18 and 23 years.
The placement will be one day a week for three months with the possibility of this being extended to six months and will begin in September 2017. Interns will receive a bursary of £50 per day for this role.
Informal interviews will be held on Monday 21 August 2017 and the internship will begin with a handover/training day on Friday 15 September 2017. Applicants MUST be available on these days.
Duties and responsibilities
- Sub-editing submitted writing
- Uploading, formatting and scheduling content and images onto site
- Setting up regular tweets using Hootsuite to promote the reviews via @CuckooWriters
- Liasing with reviewers to give feedback
- Completing diary and checking deadlines are met
- General administrative duties
Conditions of work
The Cuckoo Review Intern will be expected to work one day per week over a three month period, based on the working hours of 10am-5pm. The internship will be based at the New Writing North office in central Newcastle. Though we appreciate that you will have other commitments (university/ work etc.) and will attempt to negotiate a timetable to suit successful applicants, some flexibility may be required. Interns will receive a bursary of £50 per day worked and will be provided with a reference on completion of the internship.
- Editing and copy writing skills
- Good spelling and grammar
- Technical competancy with a Mac, Microsoft Word packages, social media and WordPress
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to work independently
- A mature and confident manner
- A good knowledge of the northern region
- A good knowledge of popular culture and the arts
How to apply
To apply, please email a covering letter explaining why you want to be a Cuckoo intern (no more than two pages) and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is 9AM, Wednesday 16 August 2017.